Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Tombstone Tuesday: Leodore Ostiguy, Cimetiere St-Joseph, Chelmsford, Massachusetts

LEODORE W OSTIGUY
PRI. 3RD DIV.
CO. F. 6TH ENGINEERS
1895 - 1932
ANGELE SON EPOUSE
ARSENE JOYAL
1865 - 1936

Leodore is not related to me. These photos were shot while doing other research in the cemetery. What caught my eye here was the broken rifle and the appearance and feeling of loneliness that I felt surrounding this stone.

Curious, I looked up Leo very quickly on ancestry and this is what I found.

It seems as though Leo's parentage is unknown.  But according to census records and a public tree, he was born abt. 1895 in Rhode Island. Unable to find a 1900 census enumeration of Leo. I did find him enumerated in the 1910 census living with the St. Armand family on Austin St in Lowell., age 15, brother-in-law to the head, Napoleon St. Armand.. Leo married (according to the public tree) Angele Harvey circa.1921 in Lowell. In 1930 the family of Leo and Angele are enumerated living on Lakeview Rd. in Tyngsboro, MA. They had one son, Roland, who was 9 years old. Residing with with the family were a niece and nephew, Leo & Irene Letourneau.  Also, according to the public tree, Leo dies on 31 Jan., 1932 in Lowell, MA. I think I would like to do a more in depth research on Leo, to verify things and  to find out who his parents were and where they came from etc.. but I don't have the time right now..

2 comments:

  1. Hi Shell (Michelle),

    Thank you for that information... I am not sure where Leodore fits in the family yet but he definitely is related.

    There are a lot of Ostiguy's who moved from Quebec, Canada to Rhode Island and Lowell in the mid-1800's...

    I will try to trace him back to my ancestor - Dominique Ostéi (Ostiguy-dit-Domingue).

    I appreciate you sharing the quick information you have found.

    Thanks again,

    Sincerely,

    Mario Domingue
    descendant of Dominique Ostéi (Ostiguy-dit-Domingue)
    http://descendants-ostiguy-domingue.com
    mdomingue@descendants-ostiguy-domingue.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mario, You're welcome. I'm glad I could help. If I can help you any further just let me know.

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete