Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Boston Public Library remote access to historical newspapers?!

Where the heck have I been? It seems that there is no more remote access to the BPL's historical Boston Globe or NY Times database. I have been able to search these databases but I am unable to retrive and read the search results. I also noticed that Heritage Quest isn't listed as an electronic resource anymore. What the heck?! I did a little research on the matter and I think that the BPL restricted these databases due to a contractual conflict with EBSCO. Something about letting MA residents that live outside of Boston obtain e-cards. Well, that just stinks. Why didn't anyone tell me about this?! Lol..what do I do now? As far as I know the Pollard Memorial Library and the MVLC do not have remote access to these databases'!! Any ideas?

2 comments:

  1. skoorey12:54 PM

    Have you solved this yet? I too need remote access to the old Globes. I have one of those e-cards and I used to be able to get this online. Any update? thanks in advance!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, unfortunately I have not found a work around for this. There is, however, newspaper archive online, it is a subscription based newspaper archive. I'm not sure if they have the historical Globe though. Bummer, I know...

    ReplyDelete