Friday, April 09, 2010

The Death Notice of Lewis Wells, Lowell, Massachusetts

Update: I opened my 1900 census of Frank and family with photoshop. I can see now that Frank is 32 yrs old so I am going to go do a poking around in New York right now.

I can't rightly call this an obituary in today's sense of the term. It's just a small little block of print, with not much information at all. However, there is enough information for me to know that this is the father of Frank and William Wells and grandfather of Agnes, Victoria, William, Helen, Francis, Flora, Viola, Kenneth and Charles Wells.

Published in The Lowell Sun on the 21st of Sept. 1922. Unfortunately, I only have a cropped image and forgot to write the page number down.
WELLS -- Lewis Wells, aged 83 years, a resident of this city for the past 40 years and a veteran of the Civil war, former member of Company C, 22Nd New York Regiment, died today at his home, 113 School street. He leaves two sons, Frank F. and William Wells, both of this city; 14 grandchildren and 10 great grandchildren.
I have a few census records that track the family of Lewis' son Frank, however, my search ends in 1900 Cheshire county New Hampshire. I do not know who Lewis was married to or his son Frank for that matter. I all know about Frank's wife is that her name was Harriet. Both the 1900 and 1910 census records that I have are barley legible. In a 1920 census record of School St. in Lowell, MA. Frank, Lewis' son, is enumerated as being born in New York. It states his parents are born Canada French. Harriet, Frank's wife, is born Canada French and Frank's father, Lewis, or Louis as he is enumerated, who is living with the family, is enumerated as being born in New York.. That's a little conficting don't you think? The parental birth information given for Frank, states Canada French, for both parents, mother and father, while the birth place information for Lewis or Louis, who IS Frank's father, states New York. Anyway, the census goes onto document that Lewis' parents, whom ever they may be, were also born Canada French.

No comments:

Post a Comment