Friday, October 29, 2010

Foodie Friday: Cretons

I made some cretons the other day. Using the recipes I received from my cousin Roger P. Foucher as a guide,  my recipe is as follows:
  • 4 lbs of fresh ground pork
  • 1 med onion, chopped fine
  • 3.5 tsp of celery salt
  • abt. 2 tbsp of Bell's (give or take a bit, I didn't measure the Bell's)
  • 3 - 4 cups of water (cover pork mixture completely with water)
  • Pepper to taste.

Lightly brown pork and onion, then add all of the seasonings, except for the pepper. Add the water and bring mixture to a boil, lower heat and lightly simmer for about 3 - 4 hours or until all the water is gone. You don't want to rush it.

While the mixture is simmering make sure you mash the pork rather frequently (potato masher or wooden spoon, I used both) you want it to be very fine by the time it is done cooking. Once most of the water is gone you can add your pepper. I like pepper.

Cool mixture in the pot (slightly warm to the touch), then pack the mixture into to small containers with tight fitting lids (I reused the containers I've collected from Cote's Market) or you can pack the mixture into molds for a fancier presentation. Then refrigerate overnight. I think I got 5 containers of an unknown size (I'll check on the sizes) out of this recipe.

The fat will rise to the top upon refrigeration and will probably end up sticking to the cover of your container. You can just scrape this off when you open it for the first time.

Enjoy your cretons on toast or crackers. With mustard or with out. Brian said he likes it and that the flavor is very good, just the way he likes it. I, myself, was stark raving mad over it. I think we only have 2 containers left *oink*. However, next time I think I may refrigerate the mixture in the pan that it was cooked in, then pack it into containers. I think doing it this way will make the fat that comes to the top easier to remove.

No comments:

Post a Comment