Friday, October 01, 2010

Funeral Card Friday: Jerome C. Robillard

Funeral Card Friday is a daily blogging prompt from GeneaBloggers - the genealogy community's resource for blogging.Originating from Dee Akard's blog, Funeral Cards and Genealogy, Dee encourages those of us who genea-blog to share our funeral card collection on the first Friday of each month and since I have managed to collect a few, I have decided to participate.

This week I present my father's funeral card. Not really a funeral card though, as he didn't have a funeral. This card is more like a memorial card. I received it from the McKenna-Ouellettte Funeral Home, in Lowell, MA., on the day of his wake along with another laminated card preserving his obituary. When I went into my Robillard files earlier this morning to find the card, so I could scan it, I read the poem again and it brought back a flood of emotion.



In Loving Memory of
Jerome C. Robillard

January 2, 1943

February 22, 2009


AFTERGLOW
I'd like the memory of me
To be a happy one. I'd like
To leave and Afterglow of
Smiles when day is done.
I'd like to leave an echo...
Whispering softly down the
Ways of happy times and
Laughing times and bright
And sunny days. I'd like
The tears of those who
Grieve to dry before the
Sun of happy memories
That I leave behind when
Day is done.


McKenna-Ouellette Funeral Home

I miss you Dad..

2 comments:

  1. So touching. It makes me think of my own father. He passed after a second open-heart surgery. He was born in 1910 and passed in 1970. Sixty years seems so young these days. Thank you so much for sharing. Carole

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Carole, thanks for stopping by. Visiting your blog, Vintage Vignettes right now. It's very nice. How come I've never seen it before : )

    ReplyDelete