Monday, October 25, 2010

Mystery Monday: Mr. & Mrs. Paul E. Maille's Mystery Vacation - Solved

***Mystery Solved! Thanks to the great detective work of my fb friend and fellow genealogist, Albert Riezebos, the statue in the picture below is believed to be that of Saint Brother Andre Bessette, located at L'Oratoire Saint Joseph du Mont-Royal, Quebec (St-Joseph's Oratory of Montreal). Please read my original post below.***

Mystery Monday is a daily blogging prompt from GeneaBloggers - the genealogy community's resource for blogging.

I am posting this picture of my maternal grandparents, Paul E. Maille and Rita G. Moran, for this week's Mystery Monday in hopes that somebody will recognize the place in which the photograph was taken.


If you look closely, you will see that my grandfather is holding a home movie camera. This is why I am assuming that they were on vacation. I am also assuming that is was taken in a church yard somewhere, or perhaps a cemetery. Although I don't really believe the latter to be the case. The photograph, which you can plainly see, is severely damaged. This is the condition in which I found it. It was taped to the inside of my mother's scrapbook along with many other unidentified photos.  If you recognize this place, or have first hand knowledge of when and where this photograph was taken I would appreciate it if you could please leave a comment or contact me personally at callmeshell at gmail dot com...

4 comments:

  1. Hi Shell, The statue behind them looks exactly like the one of Brother André at St. Joseph's Oratory in Montreal Canada. If you google Brother André you will find a photo of the statue. I hope that's the one. Cheers! Jennifer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, thanks for stopping by and commenting. The mystery was solved yesterday. I do believe it to be the statue of Saint Brother Andre as well : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. My husband just came home from a business trip, and he had picked up a special issue of National Geographic at the airport to read on the plane. It is a special issue on religion (not the monthly magazine), showing holy sites all around the world in true National Geographic style (great photos!). One of the special places was this St. Joseph's Oratory. I knew of it from your blog post! You might want to check it out if you can find a copy.

    ReplyDelete